6 Aug 2013

Mastercastle - On Fire (2013) WV CUE LOG

Mastercastle - On Fire

One of my first reviews and one of the bands that made some impact on me since I started writing here in Metal Temple is MASTERCASTLE with their third album “Dangerous Diamonds”. It has remained a favorite one and I still like to listen to. It had great power metal compositions and I was in love with the guitar work of Pier Gonella and the beautiful voice of Giorgia Gueglio that were making that album really special. So obviously I was waiting their new album with anxiety and high expectations. And then in 2013, by the name “On Fire” comes the fourth album of MASTERCASTLE.

“On Fire” has nine tracks and a running time of approximately forty minutes. MASTERCASTLE takes a heavy metal approach this time, omitting most of the power metal elements existing in the previous record. However the guitar work of Pier Gonella is at the same neo classical, technical style. Out of nine songs the two are instrumental as it is the tradition with the MASTERCASTLE albums. “The Final Battle” and “Almost a Fantasy” are indicative again of the technical skills of Gonella. Concerning the rest, songs like “Silver Eyes”, “Platinum” or “Titanium Wings” are perfect examples of the music direction of the record. “Quicksilver” is the only song that is going on super heavy speeds and is more reminiscent of the Power Metal style of the band and “Gold Violet” is a sympathetic ballad but nothing extraordinary.

The lyrical theme of the record on the majority of songs is around metals with the exception of the instrumental songs. The lyrics are more or less ok but there were phrases like “I don’t give a shit” on “Titanium Wings” which were disappointing as I consider them like a cheap trick to finish a song. I find them unfitting for the kind of music and style I expect from this band. The vocal performance of Giorgia Gueglio is outstanding again and makes each song way better. Steve Vawamas is proving again that he is a solid force in the bass guitar while John Macaluso behind the drum kit is delivering a great performance in his first record with MASTERCASTLE. The production of the record is quite similar to the one on “Dangerous Diamonds” with guitars put on the front.

MASTERCASTLE might not be the most original band on the genre but the excellent female vocals and the virtuoso guitar work are of the greatest pros of the band. As I said before, I believe that “On Fire” is more Heavy Metal oriented compared to its Power Metal predecessor. The record has some really cool tunes but I had really high expectations from the band and I can’t say that I am eventually satisfied. This doesn’t mean that “On Fire” is a bad record at all but I believe that the songs are not as good as what I would expect. Still if you are into neo-classical Metal and female fronted bands definitely check them out.

copas from http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/m_2/mastercastle-on-fire.htm

Tracklist:
1. Silver Eyes
2. Chains
3. Platinum
4. Quicksilver
5. Gold Violet
6. The Final Battle (instrumental)
7. Leaden Roads
8. Titanium Wings
9. Almost a Fantasy (instrumental)

TKP

password : bidadari

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...